Saturday, February 19, 2005

12-14/feb 'pareos' & natural churches

On the water again, I met a guy from the states, that has been coming for 9 months a year in India, during the last 9 years. The other 3 years, either Hawaii or California… He is here for yoga, ashrams…
I’ve been writing Arabic sea in the last posts, but it’s not correct I think. I think the right way would be Arabian sea. And I write this because I was having lunch on the cliff, with that amazing sight. The food was great, chicken curry (I can not become vegetarian from one day to the other!) and coconut rice… so tasty, and he nans. I love nans, more than chapatti, and as much as porota. All these 3 things are Indian bread, but very thin. Something like pizza, even if it has nothing to do with pizza. Only the shape. They are cooked in different systems. After eating, I spent a couple of hours reading on the restaurant. The shadow and the breeze were great. It was too hot to be down on the beach. And sun is strong here! Today I spent at least 4 to 5 hours on the water, and I’m very tired. After having dinner with the Spanish community, I went to sleep.

The pareo (sheet) it’s so useful here. You could live only with that. Sheet for the night, towel in the beach, pillow in the train, skirt after the beach, and decoration for the room, when I dried it. Today the sea was very flat, only with the clean and organized (but not very big) waves. After swimming a lot, I met neta, a girl from Israel that used to be air hostess. After that, I started creating the images website (blog). It took me a while to understand the way it worked. After dinner, I started thinking where to go next. The moon was growing, the food was great, Dylan as a background, and everything so quiet and peaceful. I could stay here for ages, but 6 days are enough. India and the world are huge, and fortunately, the only thing I have is time.

Breakfast with neta and her sister. They were also leaving today, but to munnar. I was at the beach for a couple of hours, last hours in varkala, this small paradise, where I still had time to meet an old british man, that explained me his trip, in the ’70, in Israel, working in a kibbutz, and then to afganistan through iran, turkey… He was shining while was talking… I decided to go to kollam, to discover the famous backwaters. From the train, landscape it’s great. Forests of trees, lagoons, or lakes everywhere, canals… water is life!! Sometimes there is only the train, and water all around, as if it was a boat, a long and thin boat. And trees are huge here. They must be very old. I don’t remember seeing trees that big anywhere else before. And these forests are very very dense, and high. Like a kind of old gothic cathedral, forsaked in the middle of no-where, with lots of pillars (trees), high roofs and light entering through the dust… benches have been devoured by the small bushes. And this cathedral is infinite, you cannot see the end.

I havn’t really seen much poverty in kerala (state), nor beggars, nor slums…People call it ‘the gods own country’. Maybe it’s true… Once in kollam, I found a lodge, but not very nice, and smelly. With only men. And since I don’t spend time in the room, I stayed. Rs 70 (1,25 euro). I had to fight a little bit to get an extra sheet. I wanted for the pillow. I think they had never changed the cover of the pillow before. And of course, it was black!! The extra sheet was ok to hidden the blackness, but not the smell. Kollam is a quite big city. 400000 People. But it seems like a town. That’s normal in India, a part from the very big cities, I guess. After getting the info about the backwater, I went to sleep. Nice night!
And it was funny to see that I was going to the backwaters area, and my mum send me a mail, today, telling me to go there!!! I think that josep and nuri brought some info about it. Let's see!

19/2/05

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home