Thursday, March 17, 2005

8-9/mar hampi 01

It was fun to see that my neighbor in aranchana lodge was helio, the surrealist Italian I met in fort kochi. This very interesting man (52), with the job dreamer, romantic and naiv, eager (desitjos) to live life in his own way, avoiding inertias, or established things and thoughts. And even if we come from totally different generations, we had many things in common while chatting for hours.
I found Michele, the American girl a met in gokarna in the place I had breakfast. India is so small!
In hampi there’s a main temple, virukapsha temple, that reminded me the sri menakshi temple in madurai, both for the forms (even if the one in madurai had colors and this one have not) and devotion of the people. In the moment I was writing this stuff, there was a family singing inside a sort of hindu chapel. Children couldn’t sing the whole songs, but their parents were very patient on teaching them one of the bases of their life, the religion. It was fun to see that when children said something wrong, all of them started laughing!
There was also an elephant that was blessing people for an small amount of money, repeating the mechanical movement I’d already seen in madurai. Quite sad to see this huge animal tied to a pillar with a big chain. There are also monkeys in the temple. But where I saw lots of monkeys was in the hemakuta hill (reminded me the acropolis, in some ways), just next to the temple. It’s a hill full of temples, small ones, and if you walk towards one of the limits, you find those rocks that makes of hampi a very special place. All the temples in this hill were built on a one-huge-single-stone, the biggest I had ever seen. From the top of this hill, you can have a first glimpse of hampi, and discover that the landscape it’s so powerful and suggestive here. You could see mountains made by these huge monolithic rocks, one over the other, reaching very high levels. These rocks seemed to be out of scale for the place, and it was very hard to imagine the origin of such a formations. There were different theories, but for sure magic was there, on a second plane. On the foot of these mountains, there was a green carpet, made out of rice fields, palm trees and other big trees, underlining the river and canals.
This must be the perfect place if you are an artist or a writer, if you control the techniques enough to be able to express the potential of hampi.
Temples are spread all around. Wherever you look, there they are, I good conditions, frozen in the time, and without fences nor stands or man creations. And it’s hot, but it’s ok, since you can sit inside the temple, and enjoy their shades… this place it’s so incredible!!!
After the sunset, I met a Canadian girl I met on the train to mangalore, and another from Belgium that I met in om beach.
The place it’s quite touristic, we can say. But I think that it’s not a big problem here. They are occupying the town, small, and all the areas to be seen are a little bit far from it. So it doesn’t bother that much. Moreover, it’s ok for me, since you have more option for everything, and it’s easier to meet people. But prices are not that low, even if there is competence. They are ok though. There are lots of restaurants, travel agencies, bikes to rent, shops selling religious stuff and other touristic things. Lots of lodges and small guest houses.
When I was going to have dinner, I met alessandro (met him in fort kochi together with helio) with an Italian woman. After dinner, a girl from Barcelona came to join us.
The power cuts happen very often here. But it’s not a big problem since I spend most of the day out. A good thing to do with this happen that often is to avoid eating ice cream. The night was nice and cool, very peaceful.
The day after I went to hospet, the biggest town of the area, 13 km from hampi, because I wanted to buy an mp3 player, or a cd/mp3, and I had also to actualize the blog, since I was behind with it. But I did not one thing nor the other. The cd/mp3 player was supposed to be cheap, but they didn’t work all the time. And to check all different places, choose a shop, and the model… it took me time, and all for nothing. Then, once in the internet place, there was a power cut, and I lost a lot of time…
On the bus to hampi, I met the controller of the bus, and he made me a funny question; Which is your favorite god!?
I had dinner with the Italians and pilar, the girl from bcn. After dinner I went back home with helio, and spent a few hours talking, on the terrace with all that huge sky full of start as ceiling. There were lightnings, but It didn’t rain. We talked about the reasons to leave a place, why we feel attached to the place we were borned, about the security we like to feel…and then we met 3 girls from Korean. I stayed there talking with them till late that night.

17/3/05

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home